Saturday, March 19, 2011

Why Not E Everything?

 I vote to never have to use the printed word again. Calm down. I'm not counting books, just anything you might  want to print from home. See, I bought a printer and it hates me. No really, it does. It's a wireless printer but it doesn't work without the wires. How cool is that? Not. At. All.

I went through this whole evening of trying to get the router to cooperate with the little blue WiFi thingy on the front of Satan, I mean Cannon, and it finally came on and stayed all blue. And its still on. But it won't work without the wire hooked up to the laptop. Love me some techno bullo on a Saturday night. Doesn't make sense and I want to back over it with my car right about now (Get over here Rob!). But who needs to hear hubby complaining to the kids about the mess they left in the driveway (I will blame it on them, always do, makes them understand the whole life's not fair thing, gotta prepare them for the world). Hold on tho, there's a silver lining.

See, I was printing out random things with Satan when the wire was hooked up, and of course not printing out things on Satan without it, but I found an old bunch of papers from way back in college.  Okay, it was last year. Anyways, I found this list of phrases and words that can often be eliminated from our writing. I had forgotten all about it. And my writing proves it. I thought I'd share a little while I wait on the priest to show up.

Words:   extremely, really ( really? I can get into that whole YA voice crying out the word "really"), very, about, a lot, few, many, some, dull, stupid (well good lord, do we have to use daft instead), little, big, huge, wonderful, beautiful, pretty, incredible, so much, usually, unique, and typical.

Phrases:   needless to say, in my opinion, I think, I believe, I feel, unbelievable (that's like one of my favorite words), I can't describe it, for example.

So, needless to say, in my opinion, me thinks this is wonderful information. I mean, none of us want to be stupid or god forbid nondescript. Shudder. I hope this makes a big difference in your writing. I know mine is going to be pretty incredible after this. It's always the little things that make such a huge difference for me.He he. Sorry, couldn't resist. But in all seriousness, I forget about his at times when I do get lost in that YA voice. Kids talk a certain way and grammatically correct is not one of them. I suppose there is a time and place within our stories where we know when its right to keep them or better to let them go. What do you think?

Happy Weekend People.

4 comments:

  1. Awe, sorry you had such a nightmare with the printer. I need to get a reliable one, still using an "old-fashioned" cheap printer. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I threw the wireless printer, with all its wires, away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!!! You're posts always make me laugh (remind me not to drink coffee while reading over the laptop ;-) )

    That is an excellent list of words--but I think you're right. It's not a don't use list, it's a sprinkle lightly list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You kill me! I always drop by your blog when you need a laugh. Needless to say, I got an unbelievable laugh and thought this was a really wonderful, beautiful, incredible and unique post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Me loves them!