Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Reminiscing.

Picture this. The kids are at school. The husband is taking a nap after working all night. The dog has been fed,  walked, and is happily gnawing on the remnants of a rather disgusting looking bone. Sweet iced tea, check. Tissues for allergy season, double check. Cell phone, silent. Notebook filled with ideas, open. Word doc, open. Glare from the picture window, zero. Chicken and lettuce wrap, consumed. Pants, check. Bra, optional. Status, absolute heaven. Hey, don't be a hater. The kids will be home in twenty minutes and this day of peace will be coming to an end.

But its been awesome. I'm not even gonna lie. I spent the day writing, daydreaming, and going through my original WIP to see what I could bring over to my revisions doc. When I revise, I usually open a new doc, transfer one chapter at a time, and revise. It makes the whole process seem less overwhelming. There's just something easier about ten pages as opposed to looking at 284. Maybe its just me. So, as I'm looking through the older version, I was surprised to see that there was very little I could transfer over. The story itself has just changed so much, but more importantly, so has my writing. I mean, I know I'll never be Hemingway or Austen, but I was blown away by how much things have changed in a year. I haven't looked at the older doc in months. Its amazing what we learn as we go along and we don't even realize it until its happened. I wonder if I'll read my revisions next year and laugh. I hope not.

It wasn't all a wash though. As I looked through those first pages, I remembered the excitement through it all. The way the story flowed through me faster than I could type it. The way the characters took over my thoughts and dreams, weaving themselves into my life like strands of thread throughout my wedding gown. They became almost a part of me during that time. They still are. There's just nothing like the feeling of the first draft. Mistakes and all. Its still the best feeling. How do you feel when you open those original docs and reminisce?

7 comments:

  1. I have that same feeling. I am revising a story now and my writing has improved. I find I change most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, T.C.! Yesterday I posted some thoughts from Anne Lamotte on avoiding perfectionsm in your 1st draft. Our stories do flow through us as we type! We can go back and clean up the mess later.

    Sounds like you had a great day of writing and reminiscing:).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing how much your writing can change as you work at it. I am amazed at the difference in my own work from just a few months ago.

    Glad you had such a productive day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a heck-of-a day, TC! Wishing you many more and heaps of productivity to boot.

    Fresh eyes can do so much in terms of reengaging a manuscript.

    EJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a fantastic day! I love looking at my MS with rested eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous day, and what a lovely journey, to realise that your writing's come on so well. It's so good to have those moments when you have a real sense of progress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Reading this post makes me so happy for you. I haven't looked at my first draft again, but I will soon. I hope I feel the same way you do.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Me loves them!