Friday, January 28, 2011

Found It Friday's

It's been a great week but I'm still trying to catch up. After Coop's illness last week and having to spend a few days out of the blogosphere, I feel like I'm just watching everyone go by while I stumble around saying, "wait what'd I miss." I have been able to blog hop a little, work on some revisions, and we were blessed to have our two BFF's over for dinner last night. Awesome time. Nothing like taking a few hours to unwind and laugh with some great friends. I also started my first official beta reading project. I've done a page here and there for a few friends but nothing quite like this. I have to say, I'm a little nervous. Not to mention that I'll be sending the same person my WIP shortly so that she can beta me back. Eek! No fear (right). This will be the first time that anyone other than my editing guru and friend (Rob) has read my entire WIP.  Lydia Sharp read the first 500 words during her critique contest and everything she said was wonderful. But now I'm going to put it out there. I feel like I'm sending the little one off to school for the first time, and as a mother, I'm not sure if I put the little guys underwear on over his pants or under. Ack! But this is what I need. This is what I want. I love constructive criticism. I'm not afraid of it. It doesn't hurt my feelings. And I know that it will make my story better. This is the polishing process and it is so important. So why am I freaking out a little? Hum? How did you feel when you sent your work off to that first beta reader? Am I normal? Don't answer that.


Lastly, here are a few things I found for Found it Friday's.

This is helping me beta.
This is what Jessica Faust of BookEnds Lit is looking for. Wish I was ready.
This is Michelle Mclean awesome revising tip.
This Dear Agent mad lib on Elena Solodow's blog was so much fun and you should check out her $100 bucks for 100 words blog-fest. Super cool. Love her blog.
And This is not a hairstyle. And it made me feel really stupid. But thanks to Casey, I stand enlightened.

Hope you enjoyed and maybe even learned something new. Happy Weekend people!

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you had a good time with your friends! :)

    Good luck with your WIP.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the Beta-ing. I have found it to be quite helpful in my growth as a writer to see what others have to say about my work, and to see what I see in other people's work.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ready you are, young jedi. I usually get excited and nervous when I send out a story for crit. But the feedback is so amazing. The trick is to find GOOD betas. You may have to try a few on for size til you find ones who work for you. Some are too harsh, or too nice, or just plain don't jive with your story.
    But once you find compatible betas, it's like a blessing from above. Peeps who aren't afraid to be honest and help you make your work better, but still maintain a positive outlook and really get your story.
    Plus, the more you beta for others, the better you will become and know what it is you're looking for in a return read. The more I beta, the better my writing becomes too. It is essential to growing as a writer so you are %100 on the right track.
    Now get in there and trim some fat!! (figuratively speaking about your mss, of course)lol Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, good luck with the beta-ing! Getting new feedback is so valuable! A different perspective can make an enormous difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments and support guys. I'm all over the beta-ing so far. I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Me loves them!