Friday, August 15, 2014

Officially Introverted.

My own public awkwardness is making me feel awkward. How sad is that? I've been spending so much time, writing, reading, and working from home that going out in public is starting to be an issue. Really. It's taking me like twenty minutes to warm up enough to speak freely with fellow human beings. I'm so used to emailing, texting, posting on Facebook and so on that speaking out loud is like a shock. What? When did that happen? This has to stop. It does. I shouldn't flush, and lose the ability to form sentences just because the guy at the deli asked me what I want. No. Come on. Spit. It. Out. It's ham. Shave it please so I can put it on a sandwich. It's not that hard.

It's even worse when someone asks...what's your book about?

It's um................about this girl...............and she has powers.........it's a Sci-Fi/Fantasy thingy............for young adults.

By the time I make it back to my car with my ham, ya know to hide and slam my head into the steering wheel for a good minute, I have formed what I meant to say. But it's too late. The deli guy thinks I'm "special." A little slow but otherwise sweet. He may give me extra ham next time kind of special.

There might be a lot of sandwiches in my future.

How about you? As a writer, are you finding it hard to order ham, or cheese if you're a vegetarian?

Oh, and in case you're wondering, here's my book about that girl.


You can check it out at Amazon.
Add it to your list at Goodreads.

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I find it hard to explain what my book is about in general. The pressure of the moment and all that...But ordering ham at the deli...nope, now worries. I am so used to being an introvert. I have been like this since I was a kid. If you want to see me panic send me out to socialize on purpose. I'm just not good with people in general. At least you might get a few extra slices of ham. That's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to have that answer memorized and ready at all times. You never know when you'll be trapped in an elevator with a big publisher and have nothing to talk about except your book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Repeat after me:
    I am a successful, published author. My book, THE BONE TREATY, is a YA paranormal romance with lots of funny bits. You’re definitely gonna want to read it. Here’s my card. Go to that link on Amazon and buy it now, because next week, when they interview me on the TODAY show, the price will go up. Great to see you. Thanks for the ham. Air kiss*

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Me loves them!