Sunday, July 17, 2011

Um. Owner has been walked.

Okay, so I haven't been posting much the past few weeks. Work has been crazy hectic,which is a good thing and I've been trying to devote my time to characters and revisions. I'm cool with the whole character thing. I feel like I'm dating them half the time, and so far, none of them have broken up with me or even begun that whole its me not you conversation. I'm totally grateful. I mean, when you're own inventions ditch you, things are bad. Like go ahead and fill up the bathtub bad. It's the revising part that makes me cringe and I don't get it. It's not like I'm heading into the office for rectal surgery. It's my story. I know what's going to happen. Er...so most of the time I think I sort of know. Basically the same thing.

So I've been trying the whole outlining thing. Most of the time I write by way of disorganized, chaotic little notes written in various places throughout a spiral notebook. It's always worked for me. Until now. I think I need a better system. And this weekend I wrote a little, pondered a little, and decided to take the dog out at the wrong time. Neighbors were out in their backyard doing the whole family bonding thing on the playground with about 8 or 9 kids. At least it looked like that many. Kids see 150 pound dog. Kids love 150 pound dogs. Dog loves kids. Dog thinks he's more like 10 pounds. Kids run at dog. Dog runs at kids. Dog begins to leap into the air in six foot strides. Kids freeze. Owner of dog rides dog. Owner runs with dog. Owner gets pulled by dog. Picture villains being tied to a horse in one of those old westerns and that was basically me. Owner has no muscles left in her body. I can now hardly hold my arms up to type. Kids? Fine. Dog? Fine. Owner? Not so good. So I thought it would be a great time to hear your strategies for organizing your story. I know some of you have posted about this before. I've read lots of great ideas in the past. Forgive me, but the pain just won't let me remember who, what, when, or where those ideas were. Shrugs. Owe!

3 comments:

  1. LOL!!! I can just see your dog taking you for a walk!!!

    Revisions. I use track changes (or record changes) and notes in my document as I am reading through. The notes for things I need to look up/research or be sure that I fix later on.

    When I feel pretty good about it, I will use find/replace and highlight words I tend to over use (that, then, smile (and its variations))

    Curious to see what everyone else does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not look forward to the editing process. But when I'm writing I use composition books to organize my characters and chapters. I take it with me everywhere, and will write in it until I need the second one. It helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firstly, good luck! In case they're helpful, my post on revisions (with links to other people's) is here: http://amiekaufman.com/?p=102 and this post here has links to posts on outlining: http://amiekaufman.com/?p=47

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Me loves them!