Monday, May 23, 2011

And It Continues

Well its been a whole week. I haven't blogged and I haven't visited either. Guess you guys already knew that. I'm going to make my rounds this week, see what you've all been up to.  So I thought I'd give you the run down of how the week went. Let you know what I've been up to. I worked all day on Monday then came home and stared at a blank word document for hours. If you're one of those who counts the words "chapter eleven" as progress then the day was a total success. Everyday after that went on in the same fashion. Work, work, work, stare, stare, stare. Then it hit me. I don't just write anymore. I spend more time over thinking it way too much.

Remember back in the day before you read all those books that told you how to write, before all the examples, the countless hours you've spent reading articles or blogs written by literary agents who opine about plot structure and proper beginnings, acceptable endings. After awhile, all that information starts to do two things. First, you learn an enormous amount of much needed information that will undoubtedly make you a better writer. You will see results over time. From every book you read whether its directed at the craft or just some awesome paranormal romance you can't put down, either way, it will all put you one step closer to being a better writer. But, BUT, it will also make you think about every word you write. That's a good thing kinda sorta. But its a bad thing because now you're not just focused on your story, the characters, all the good stuff that's made you that half crazed lunatic holed up at the kitchen table, typing away like you're rain man with a laptop. No, now you're in a personal struggle with every single word. At least that's how I've felt. And I must say, I miss the way I used to just write. However, I do not care for the countless hours of revisions I've had to endure and am still having to endure due to my devil may care way of writing. It was fun the first time around, definitely not the second, third or even the fourth. So, I let myself off the hook. I just started writing. I'll think about fixing things later. I just want to be back in my story. The rest I'll work out when I have to.

What about you? How's it going?

8 comments:

  1. I've been stuck, unstuck, then stuck again. I totally agree with getting it down and revising it later--I believe it was Nora Roberts who said something along the lines of you can't fix what hasn't been written. So, I write it, and might jot a note to fix this later so I remember.

    Enjoy getting back to your story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a lot of books on writing and publishing before I sold my first book. Very few of them prepared me for the reality of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm currently trudging through the "EVERY. SINGLE. WORD." syndrome. Thanks for expressing my current feelings!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Throw every how-to book in the bin! Stop reading articles online and just write. Sequester yourself if you have to. Do whatever it takes to get back to where your stories come from. This avalanche of manuals and opinions is not what you need, right now.

    Just write, TC. You will be very happy you did and don't feel a shred of guilt about it. Don't second guess yourself. You are a storyteller. Just tell your story.

    And have fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I've been there. I've learned to stop letting it get to me when I write the first draft, otherwise I would get no where. My writing is coming along, but at a slower pace this past week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am submersed in my story. At 19,000 words and counting. :)

    Normally I allow the story to take me wherever, than I go back when I'm completely done with the rough draft and edit, or overhaul. I notice that when I spend too much time thinking, the story never unfolds. Instead, I sit and close my eyes and watch it happen like I'm watching a movie. Seems to work for me. :)

    Good luck and happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, there is something to be said about just writing what you love and allowing yourself to suck. I also get caught up in the "shoulds", but I'm trying to let go and just have fun with it. I can fix it later.

    Did you ever watch the TV show FRIENDS? I picture myself writing like Phoebe runs. (If you haven't seen it, she runs with her hands pinwheeling and her knees high - like she did when she was a kid. She thought it was more fun that way.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although, I do agree revisions are hellish. But, that might be true no matter how hard I concentrate when I write.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. Me loves them!